Volume LV - March 2017 - No. 9
Published by the American Council of the Blind
Be A Part of ACB
The American Council of the Blind (TM) is a membership organization made up of more than 70 state and special-interest affiliates. To join, contact the national office at 1-800-424-8666.
Contribute to Our Work
Those much-needed contributions, which are tax-deductible, can be sent to Attn: Treasurer, ACB, 6300 Shingle Creek Pkwy., Suite 195, Brooklyn Center, MN 55430. If you wish to remember a relative or friend, the national office has printed cards available for this purpose. Consider including a gift to ACB in your Last Will and Testament. If your wishes are complex, call the national office.
To make a contribution to ACB by the Combined Federal Campaign, use this number: 11155.
Check in with ACB
For the latest in legislative and governmental news, call the “Washington Connection” 24/7 at 1-800-424-8666, or read it online.
Learn more about us at www.acb.org. Follow us on Twitter at @acbnational, or like us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/AmericanCounciloftheBlindOfficial.
© 2017 American Council of the Blind
Eric Bridges, Executive Director
Sharon Lovering, Editor
1703 N. Beauregard St., Suite 420, Alexandria, VA 22311
Table of Contents
- In Memoriam: Otis H. Stephens Jr., Sept. 20, 1936-Dec. 2, 2016
- Readers’ Remembrances of Otis Stephens
- President’s Message: Planning for the Future: A Strategic Direction for the Next Five Years, by Kim Charlson
- ACB Commends Access Board on 508 Refresh
- Helpful Hints for Attending the Convention, by Janet Dickelman
- Awards Committee Seeks Nominees for 2017 ACB Awards, by Chelle Hart and Chip Hailey, Awards Committee Co-Chairs
- Celebrate the Life & Legacy of Durward K. McDaniel: Support the DKM First-Timer Program, by Kenneth Semien Sr.
- Holiday Auction Thank-Yous, by Carla Ruschival
- Ida Schwerzel: A Century of Memories, Part 2, by Greg Lindberg
- Easy Fund-Raiser for Your Affiliate, by Kathy Brockman
- Affiliate News
- Spotlight on ACB Students, by Tamara Lomax
- Here and There, edited by Sharon Strzalkowski
- High Tech Swap Shop
- ACB Officers, Board of Directors and Board of Publications
- Accessing Your ACB Braille and E-Forums
Are You Moving? Do You Want to Change Your Subscription?
Contact Sharon Lovering in the ACB national office, 1-800-424-8666, or via e-mail, firstname.lastname@example.org. Give her the information, and she’ll make the changes for you.
Keep up with the most important ACB news and announcements without any other chatter. Subscribe to the ACB Announce listserv. Send a blank e-mail to email@example.com, or visit www.acblists.org/mailman/listinfo/announce and type your e-mail address and name where indicated.
Want to stream your convention? ACB Radio can help you out; write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Keep up with the haps when affiliates stream conventions at www.acbradio.org/news.
BF-March 2017 Braille-Ready File
BF-March 2017 Plain Text